Who is the Bottle Forager?

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Three Floyds / De Molen Zes Zes Zes

Three Floyds / De Molen Zes Zes Zes

(front and back view with a quick photoshop job)

Brewer's Description: 
Now this is a saison! This refreshing Belgian-style ale is the combined effort of Three Floyds and De Molen’s fantastic brewer Menno (the real Dutch Hercules). This spicy and bracing ale was brewed in Munster, but look out for the one we brew in Holland at DeMolen. Cheers and drost!

So I was weeding the garden plot getting ready for another year of planting with the warmth of the sun beating on my neck and the feel of soil under my fingers, my mind started to wander about my favorite of all beer styles... the one they call Farmhouse, the one they call Saison ! 

As I returned home I opened the fridge to find I already had 6 different saisons chilling in the fridge... this one was up front and just so happened to be sent as an extra from a recent trade I did with a forager from Chicago.

My thoughts:
Hmmmm. Was skeptical about this one as I wouldn’t associate either of these breweries with the saison style but that was part of the allure as well as the hieroymus bosch meets robert crumb like label. Anyway lets start talking about the actual beer... pours a medium copper color with three fingers of sticky khaki foam. The nose is more of a barleywine... cornpop cereal, butterscotch, taffy and copper pennies. Hmmm. WTF, this has to be full of diacetyl infection after looking at other reviews there is no way I could pick anything close to traditional saison flavors... and it seems some people actually did get a saison in this bottle... butterscotch, copper pennies. Drainpour Alert !!!!!

Buy, Forage & Hoard or Pass By ?

Damn... I say if you see this beer put on the table at a bottle share drop your glass and run away ! A definite "Pass By" but if you are unfortunate enough to have a bottle of this lurking in your cellar Id be curious if they have all become infected of based on some other ratings is my bottle a complete fluke ?

Final Rating:
 AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 1/20

Final Score
0.5 out of 5

Agree, Disagree... Leave your comments below !


No comments:

Post a Comment