Who is the Bottle Forager?

Tuesday, December 18, 2018

Twelve Beers of Christmas - Night Seven


Brooklyn Monster
(2010 Vintage)

Ok so don't tell Garrett but this one is so nostalgic for me.  I can remember perfectly the first time I sipped this beer and how enjoyable not only the consumption of it was but the entire night was also one to remember.  My memory lane with this one takes me back many years before this bottles vintage, in fact it was December 31, 1998 in New York City. I was there for yet another Phish New Years run and the streets were bustling with people hustlin to get to their party spots for the evenings celebrations. I wandered a block or so from Madison Square Garden and proceeded to grab a 4pk of this beer out of the cooler of a little package store with old timey latching fridges. Back in 1998 my go to sipping was Samuel Smith Taddy Porters & Oatmeal Stouts along with the classic New England "microbrews" of the time; Samuel Adams, Catamount, Magic Hat, Longtrail, Ipswich, Paper City, Harpoon and other blasts from the pasts. That was the true heyday of American beer pioneers! I loved me some stouts and anything new and different but when the first bottle of this sweet 10% plus nectar hit my lips it was true... barley wine was life! I tell you this story not only because I think it gives a glimpse into a world most beer geeks today never have or will experience. Yes Im old get over it, but I also was lucky enough to never be that "typical" college kid who funneled ice house and whatever marketing campaign was being shoved down 20 somethings throats during that time. Anyhow, I can no longer stomach seeing a Phish show, I think my last Phish show was in 2001 but I still hold that part of my life and the friends I shared during those times close to my heart. Its partly that reason why this bottle lasted so long in my cellar... it was around 2011 that Brooklyn brewing co. announced it would no longer be brewing Monster so I decided I should buy a case for my cellar. Now almost 10 years later it is finally time to crack the my last Monster!

Pours a rich sienna color with a finger of fizzy khaki foam. The nose has gotten a little strange initially but after a little swirling it starts opening up those rich toffee notes that are the signature trademark of a good barleywine. The palate is still focused and I think honestly this brew probably could have held up another 3-5 years! The sweetness is present but its not sticky, it has a nice leathery earthy midpalate and the finish dries out nicely with some soft bittneress keeping the palate fresh and wanting another sip after sip after sip.

Burnt toffee, caramel, pecans, gingerbread, leather, vanilla, brown sugar.

Feel free to bring this back from the dead Garrett!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment