Who is the Bottle Forager?

Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Rivertown Ojos Negros


Rivertown Ojos Negros


Brewer's Description: 
Unlike conventional ales and lagers which are fermented by carefully cultivated strains of brewers yeast, Ojos Negros is instead produced by exposing it to the wild yeasts and bacteria that are native to the Senne Valley, of Brussels Belgium. It is this unusual process involving over a year of fermentation, and over 130 pounds of Fresh Whole Blackberries which gives this beer its distinctive flavor: Semi sweet, vinous, fruity and cidery with a crisp tart aftertaste." According to one of the brewers, it is their Lambic (aged in oak wine barrels) with blackberries added.

I was very excited to grab a bottle of this from my midwest trading partner a year or so ago and have been waiting for the right time to crack it open... that time hadn't happened but after a long day of work I was in the mood for a something sour tonight so I decided no time like the present.  I've had Rivertown's Ville De Rivere Geuze before and even though I was not blown away I was intrigued enough to try more of their sour beer especially one with blackberries added !

My thoughts: 
Pours a slightly rosey copper color with a finger of eggshell foam. Nose is a nice mixture of fruit and funk. Dusty sour lemon, moldy hay, plum skin, musty wet barrel and blackberry juice. The palate follows the nose nicely and the balance of funk and fruit is seamless. Really enjoyable drinker with a juicy blackberry tartness up front that progresses into a musty basement, barnyard funk and lingering wet wood notes that dry out on the crisp finish. Only negative aspect of this beer is the very limited amount of carbonation.

Buy, Forage and Hoard or Pass By ?

Well, this one is another bottle not available in New England but is around in limited amounts throughout Ohio, Indiana and Kentucky. If you are a sour beer fan and find yourself seeking out lesser known beers from unassuming breweries... then this is a perfect beer for you. I would highly recommend giving this one a try... and in hindsight I kind of wish I grabbed a second one to get a little dusty in my cellar !

Final Rating: 
AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20

Final Score:
4.3 out of 5


No comments:

Post a Comment