Who is the Bottle Forager?

Saturday, November 3, 2012

"Where the Wild Biers Are" Rundown


Rolled into Novare Res around quarter to four and the bar and most of the seats in the place were full. The draft list was packed with some great selections that covered the map with choices from New England, Belgium, Italy, Germany and Switzerland.  The bar was packed with local brewers, distributors,  beer geeks and even Brian Ewing from 12% Imports was there !  

Notable highlights on the draft list were as follows
Cantillon Classic Gueuze
 Tilquin, Petrus Aged Pale, Allagash Old HLT,
Allagash FV13, Cisco Lady of the Woods, 
Cisco Monomoy Kriek, Smutty Brett & I.

Overall I went and had a great time catching up with some old friends and chatting with a few new friends as well. Its nice to see the popularity of sour beers is growing because of course where there is demand there will be supply.  Hopefully !  That being said, and I realize I may sound spoiled, but nothing on the draft list really made me go DAMN !  I understand the logistics behind what is available in the state of Maine and the legalities behind what is being poured... but I would have liked to see a little more rarity in the selections rather than a list that looked more like what could be thrown together in a couple of weeks with a few phone calls. Again, I will say I was excited and impressed with the event but when I hear about a stockpiled tower... Im thinking more about things I cannot find readily  available on the shelves of local bottle shops... and with the exception of the Allagash drafts and the older single batch Smuttynose Brett & I (which was delicious) I was expecting a little more.... I mean maybe the rumors are not true that Novare has a stockpile of vintage Cantillon in the basement... why couldn't a couple vintage bottles make it onto the menu for glass pours... or even a 4oz bottle pour sampler.  Why couldn't Novare get Shelton Bros. to send some barrels of anything but Classic. Im not looking for an answer I just wanted to give my honest thorough opinion of this event. Now that I have... its back to the search.  Keep up the good work Novare.

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment